Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalaya Golaghat, which stands in the heart of Golaghat, is a premier institution of the town. Donor of the school land : Padmashree Dr. Robin Banerjee, the renowned humanitarian philanthropist of Golaghat and winner of 14 National and International awards, donated the land of the Vidyalaya. His house, adjacent to the school building, popularly known as Uncle Robin’s Natural History Museum, is an important tourist spot of the state. There are as many as 587 dolls collected from across the world and 262 other showpieces gifted to him by different countries present in this museum. There are also as many as 200 of his paintings adorning the museum walls. 19 award-winning photographs that he clicked in different parts of the world, have enriched the museum to a great extent. He made as many as 32 documentaries which are worth to watch.
Unique Features and Best Practices
• As part of “Amrit Surabhi” project the Vidyalaya offered about 5 quintals of rice to V.K. Khatkhati in presence of around 1200 people on 12th January 2009. As a follow-up, a guardian offered 1 quintal rice for the said project in February 2009. The students have achieved the target of collecting rice and sending it to V.K. Khotkhoti under the project almost regularly.
• A 10-day tailoring, cutting, knitting & food processing training programme was conducted at Suagpur, Suklai in 2009. The programme was conducted by Mrs. Mitra Brahmachary (wife of the Principal of the Vidyalaya), Mrs. Minu Saikia(a local resident) & Mrs. Anima Chaliha (mother of a teacher of the Vidyalaya).12 girls participated in this training programme and learnt a number of items.
• The following students have been selected for various professional disciplines. N.D.A.: Kr. Chinmoy Jyoti Bora; MEDICAL: Kr. Yasin S. Emanee, Kum. Sushma Baishya, Kum. Shreyshee Borah and Kum. Shivani Rajguru; NIT: Kr. Ritabrata Thakur, Kum. Ishita Das and Kr. Amitakhya Bhuyan; ENGINEERING: Kr. Abhinandan Borah.
• A group of students started their project of manufacturing Chalk. Now the students have become the permanent Chalk suppliers supplying their produce to various VKVs through VKSPV.
• A group of girls of the school started their project titled “DIVERSITY OF LOCAL EARTHWORMS AND THEIR EFFECTIVENESS FOR VERMI COMPOSTING”. The considerable amount of manure produced through this project is being used in the garden.
• Another group of 6 students (4 boys & 2 girls) have undergone entrepreneurship training. In the first phase of their project, they have opened ‘Sale counters’ in the school campus & started selling Khatkhoti Kendra products as well as other V.K. materials so as to develop some practical knowledge of sale & purchase, book keeping, accounting etc.
• The Vidyalaya staff celebrate various occasions not only at the school site, but also at various others institutions of Golaghat. They take active part in Uthisthata Jagrata Exam, Vijay hi Vijay, Srimanta Sankardev Progya Protiyogita etc. They also conduct Swadhaya once a month. Yoga classes, 3 Sanskar Vargas and Bhajan Sandhya are other such regular activities of the Vidyalaya staff.
• The Vidyalaya financially assists VKV, Kajalgaon and Uncle Robin’s Museum also.
• As per a ‘one to one special care project’ initiated by the Principal and assisted by the teachers, the slow learners in each class are made to sit by the side of the fast learners in their respective classes. Through this the fast learners look after the slow ones by explaining to them whenever necessary. As a result the bright students became more confident while mutual understanding and follow-feeling also developed.
• Students found speaking in any language other than English in the Vidyalaya campus, is asked to deliver a speech on the topic “Importance of Spoken English” during morning assembly. Teachers keep a watch on the students. As a result, the habit of speaking English in the Vidyalaya campus has improved.
• Weekly Tests in each subject are conducted covering the portion done during a particular week. This has been introduced for smooth and effective continuous evaluation and to enable the slow and average learners to perform better & develop confidence.
• A special programme is conducted every year on 12th January for instilling patriotic zeal & love for the country and the countrymen.
• In the National Children Science Congress (State Level) Kr. Rohan Borah of the Vidyalaya bagged the First position for his project on “Ou Lota – an alternate source of potable water” in 2006. Participating in the NATIONAL LEVEL COMPETITION OF THE STOCKHOLM JUNIOR WATER PRIZE Rohan was selected to represent India in SJWP held at STOCKHOLM,SWEEDEN. Accordingly he attended the WORLD WATER WEEK held at STOCKHOLM from 20th to 26th August 2006 and brought glories to the whole Nation.
• Syeda Sarah Hamdan participated in 14th National Children’s Science Congress-2006 held at Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology, Majitar, Sikkim from 27th to 30th December 2006 and presented a project titled “Diversity of Local Earth worms and their effectiveness”. Her project was highly appreciated.
• Syed Yasin S. Emanee took part in Yahoo ! India Initiative conducted by Derok O’Brien and Associates. Selected among the top ten, he got an opportunity to meet former Indian President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam & got an opportunity to make a trip to the Silicon Valley.
• Kr. Rishabh Bora, got selected in an I.I.T. and brought laurels to the Vidyalaya in 2005.
• In AISSE-2007-08, Kr. Ritabrata Thakur scored 96% in aggregate and a centum in Maths. Syed Yasin Shahtaz Emanee got a centum in Science.
• In the State level Students Science Fair at Regional Science Centre, Guwahati Kr. Yasin S. Emanee of class XI stood 1st in Mathematical modelling & was selected to attend the Eastern India Science Fair-2009 at Birla Industrial & Technological Museum, Kolkata from 6th to 15th January 2009.
• A group of Senior Secondary students were selected to represent the Vidyalaya in an interactive seminar with the NASA Astronaut Mr. Micke Finckey on 7th September 2009 at the Pragjyoti Auditorium of Indian Tea Association, Guwahati. Pleased to interact with the students, the astronaut promised to pay a visit to the Vidyalaya.
• Kr. Kaushik Ranjan Boruah of Class-IX participated in the National Level CBSE Science Project Competition and secured 1st position in his group. His theme was “BIOLOGY IN HUMAN WELFARE”. The title of his project was “Demonstration on a reeling machine used to reel out and pierced cocoons (waste cocoons)”. He received a certificate & a cash prize of Rs.3,000/- from Shri Kapil Sibbal, HRD minister. For the same project he was awarded by the former President of India DR. APJ Abdul Kallam on 8th November 2010 in IIM, Ahmedabad. He has been recently felicitated by the Golaghat District Administration as “Child Scientist” during the 62nd Republic Day Celebration.
• A special competition was held among the students of various colleges on the deliberations of Swami Vivekananda (from Rousing Call to the Hindu Nation) on Universal Brotherhood Day in 2010 . To further the national cause of Vivekananda Kendra the Vidyalaya is in constant touch with the 11 students who participated in the competition .