Set up on the biggest river island in the world Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalaya Majuli commenced on 17 June 2002 for classes K.G. to IV taking over an existing school. Situated at Kamalabari, 400 m west of Kamalbari Chariali, it is the only C.B.S.E. affiliated school on the Majuli Island. Majuli, the sub division of Jorhat District, is also the cultural nerve centre of Assam and a hotspot of bio-diversity.
To reach Majuli from Jorhat town, you can go by bus to Nimati Ghat, 14 km from the town. Then it is an hour’s trip by ferry to Kamalabari Ghat. The Vidyalaya is 5 km away from the Ghat and bus service is available.
Unique Features and Best Practices
• Active participation of Students, parents and staff in on various occasions
• Games and sports training to students: Volleyball, Kho-Kho, Kabaddi, Football, Handball, Carrom, Chess etc.
• Regular Yoga Classes
• Weekly Mass Physical Training on Saturdays
• Soft subject training: Sattriya dance, Bor Geet , Khol Vadan, Dhol Vadan and Classical vocal
• The Vidyalaya is supporting Holy Island School (with classes Nursery, K.G., I with a total of 30 students) situated at Garamur.
• Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation from Class K.G. onwards.
• The Vidyalaya won the Best Disciplined School Award in ‘7th Vivekananda Krida Mahotsava 2011’, the inter-VKV sports meet, held at VKV (NEC) Baragolai. Besides, the Vidyalaya won 3rd prize each in 4x 100 m Relay Race (Girls), Chess (Boys), Chess (Girls) and 100 m sprint (Boys) in the sports meet.
• Bhaskar Bora (ClassIX) and Rubul Kakoti (Class VIII) participated in Eastern India Science Fair (State level) at Guwahati. Their model ‘You can charge your mobile while riding a bicycle’ won the 4th prize. The model won a special prize in Eastern India Science Fair (Regional Level) at Kolkata also.